The world is crisp and clear thanks to those contact lenses and of course you want to keep it that way. The first step to maintaining your impeccable vision and warding off infections and other eye issues is proper contact lens hygiene. Fresh Lens, your favorite Vancouver contact lens supplier, has compiled a guide to cleaning your contacts to help you keep your eyes healthy.
How to Clean Contact Lenses
If you’re wearing daily contact lenses you toss them and start with a new pair the next day (lucky you!), so there isn’t any maintenance. For those wearing weekly or monthly contact lenses, you’ll want to follow a cleaning regimen. Let’s break it down step-by-step:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water and dry them with a lint-free towel. Don’t slather on lotion or skin care products until after you’re finished.
- Break out your contact lens solution. Remove one contact, add a few drops of solution and gently rub it in the palm of your hand. The “rub and rinse” method is the way to go even if you’re using no-rub solution according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology. There’s no need to turn into the Hulk with this step because if you rub aggressively you’ll tear your lenses.
- Use the solution to rinse thoroughly.
- Fill your contact lens case with fresh solution. Never re-use old solution. Place the lens in the case
- Repeat steps two through four with the other lens.
- Allow both contact lenses to soak in the case. The recommended soaking time varies by lens cleaning product so always read the instructions.
- When you put your lenses back in, don’t forget about cleaning your contacts case. Simply rinse it with solution – not water – and leave it open to dry. The FDA recommends replacing your contact case every three months.
Contact Lens Solution Options
The above is a general guide for cleaning contact lenses with multipurpose solution and the steps may vary slightly depending on the product you use. Here are your options:
- Multipurpose solution cleans, rinses and disinfects lenses, plus you can store them in it. It’s the simplest way to go and you won’t need other lens cleaning products.
- Saline solution is not for cleaning and disinfecting. Don’t mistake it for multipurpose solution. Instead, it’s to be used for rinsing and storing contacts when you’re using it in conjunction with another disinfection system, like heat or UV.
- Cleaning contact lenses with hydrogen peroxide solution is sometimes recommended for those sensitive to the preservatives in multipurpose solution. Follow the instructions on the product carefully and don’t put contacts into eyes directly after rinsing with a hydrogen peroxide solution. You’ll need to finish the disinfecting and neutralizing process first. Neutralization is achieved by using the special case that comes with the solution.
Considerations for Healthy Contact Lens Use
So, in addition to the daily cleaning and disinfecting routine you’ll want to embrace, there are a few other points to consider to keep your contacts wearing game strong and your eyes comfortable and healthy:
- Cleaning contact lenses with water (tap or sterile) is a big no-no. The same goes for using saliva, saline solution or eye drops. Don’t clean your contact case with these either.
- Keep the cap tightly closed on your cleaning solution and don’t let the tip touch the counter or any surfaces to avoid contamination.
- Don’t squirt solution from the bigger bottle into a travel-size bottle. It will no longer be sterile.
- Follow all instructions from your eye care professional and don’t wear your contacts longer than recommended (e.g. wearing weeklies for a month).
You’re all set. Those contact lenses will be sparkling clean and your eyes will thank you. Cleaning your contact lenses is the most important thing you can do to prevent infection plus they’ll be much more comfortable to wear and you’ll see clearly. If you’re in need of some new contact lenses, visit Fresh Lens. We carry your favorite brands at reasonable prices. As an added bonus, Fresh Lens offers free shipping to Canada and the U.S. Browse our selection today.
Fresh Lens is Canada's freshest contact lens source, carrying the top contact lens brands from around the world. For more than twenty years we've been providing our customers the best pricing and customer support in the industry. We believe that everybody deserves a fresh pair of contact lenses, that's why we offer FREE SHIPPING, no minimum orders, no taxes and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee on all of our orders.